Monday, May 25, 2009

Quilting Stories

Behind every quilt there is a story. Did you ever really think about that? I have been thinking a lot about that lately as I try to zero in on how I come up with my designs. So often, I am asked how I come up with different designs. So, I have tried for a long time to come up with an answer when I get asked that. I think I may be blessed with a photographic mind. I am not sure other people see things this way, but I can shut my eyes, and I can visualize what a certain design/block looks like.That may sound an awful lot like, “I see things!” But it is true. My favorite time to visualize things like that is when I go to bed at night or when I get up in the morning. So, if you came into my bedroom, you might see a graph pad laying next to me bed. You just never know when an idea comes so I always want to be prepared. A lot of times I get an idea from looking at fabric, so I guess you could say that, “the fabric is speaking to me.” I guess I will be careful who I tell that too. They may wonder about an old psychiatric nurse that “says the fabric is speaking to me.” But even more than how I get my ideas, I think it is more important for me to hear your stories. Growing up with a mother who made many, many quilts, I now think back about some of those quilts. Most of her quilts were made from a cardboard barrel full of scraps that never seemed to get empty. My Grandma used to go to Goodwill and get used cotton clothing and my Mom would use it for quilts. I remember very well, me and my sister sitting on the quilts and looking at the different pieces of fabric, pointing out the ones from which we had homemade dresses. And always I now think about her tools. They were minimal! A treadle sewing machine, scissors, yardstick, cardboard shapes, squares, circles, etc. There were no rotary cutters, cutting mats, or acrylic rulers. We are able to make much more beautiful quilts now days, but I still have fond memories of the scrap quilts my Mom made. Recently, I ran into a friend of hers and we got to talking about her quilting, and this is what she said, “I wish I had been born 20 years later. “ Her comment struck me and I wondered if my Mom didn’t feel the same way. She is gone now, but her quilts live on as she never made one for herself, they were all given as gifts for grand kids, nieces and nephews weddings, etc. So many times this is where our quilts go, and each of them has a story. I would like for you to share a neat quilt story with us, so I could share it with other readers. A lady I worked with told me about her quilts story. She had it all cut out and I don’t remember what the pattern was, anyway her husband got very ill and ended up in ICU for over a month. She said it was the quilt that sustained her through that long and grueling time. He couldn’t talk as he was on a respirator, so she just sat with him and quilted on her quilt until he recovered. So, that quilt has a story. Share some of your stories with us.
Happy Stitching! Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment