Monday, November 8, 2010

Civil War Fabrics


I don't know what it is about the Civil War fabrics that make me like them so well, I certainly can't remember that era, but they stir something inside of me that makes me want to work with them. Althought this picture isn't the best, I took a couple of pieces that I really liked and I made this ministure 9 patch variation quilt. Two color quilts were popular during that era., and I wanted to do something that would go with a lot of todays decorating ideas. Lots of people decorate their homes with a lot of natural colors. This arrangement would be a great piece to add some nostalgia to a little corner. I also made a runner and a throw also using this color combination.
The history that goes along with the Civil War prints is very interesting to me now, however, I certainly didn't care about it when I was in school; I really didn't care about any history, come to think of it. Ha! I didn't even care about the History teacher. He made fun of me all the time in kind of a joking way; I think he knew deep down that I didn't really care that much about his dumb old history, and he was right. Oh well, it is intersting today, and I certainly will be making a lot more quilts using the Civil War prints. My favorite fabric designer is Judy Rothermill of Marcus Fabrics; I don't think she has designed anything that I didn't like. Windham also has some nice Civil War prints. Well, I better get going a new quilt!!
Happy Stitching! Carol

1 comment:

  1. I love this little pattern! Hope you package it as I would like to make one. I too like the Civil War prints and the deeper and rich colors.

    ReplyDelete